Here in California

Hello all from sunny California! I have been here for a few days now, and have been so crazy busy. I really had wanted to drop a few lines the other day, but just haven't had a chance.

So thankfully, I have relieved us of our storage unit, that we have had since moving to Georgia almost 4 years ago. Yes, unfortunately it is true. When packing up our belongings to be trucked across the continent, it soon became clear that all of our things were not going to fit on the "ginormous" and quite expensive moving truck I had rented. Much to my dismay and disappointment, I had to sort through memories and necessities and decide what to leave behind. Mostly kids toys, a few household appliances we knew would not be needed right away. A few furniture pieces, and a ton of clothes, and caught up in the mix were two boxes of Christmas ornaments.

When we got to our new home in Georgia and started the unpacking process. I quickly realized the boxes of ornaments missing. Now, you are probably thinking, "ornaments, why be upset over that?" Well, I was very upset. After everything we had been through. After the change in everyones life we had just endured. After spending every last dime we had to move across country and try to make life better for us and the kids. I knew it would be hard to just replace ornaments, let alone get back to California before Christmas and retrieve the missing boxes. I was flat out devastated. The one thing I wanted to be normal and as much like the past ones as possible was going to be Christmas, especially knowing, this was to be our very first one without the rest if our extended family.

Well, Christmas came and went, and we made the best of it. We were able to replace some of the forgotten ornaments. I did find one box that had been brought with us. We made the best of everything we had. In the years since then, we have added to our collection and been just fine. I have always thought about those missing boxes. Knowing what things were in them, and wondering about other forgotten contents. Well, when I came here to California on this trip, my main purpose was to empty the storage unit. Only keeping a few things that I could not replace, and donating everything else to charitable organizations. While I was sorting through trash and donations, I came across the boxes. I was so excited, yet at the same time, felt so pathetic for being so upset over things. I realized that Christmas is not about what we have to show others, but about the others we want to show things to. I should have been thankful for having my husband and children, and not worried about having decorations. I don't know if that makes any sense.

Anyway, come to find out. I only kept 5 items and one smaller box out of the two big ones. Ornaments that I made as a child, and that my children made when they were smaller. The rest I have given away. Things I didn't know if we would ever be able to replace, and replaced with no problem. Things that were so trivial for me to be upset over, and so easy to forget. This trip has been an eye opener for me, in more ways then one.

Ok, going to cry now..

Can't wait to get home tomorrow and see all of my love's faces!! I miss them so much. Don't get me wrong, I have had a great time on this trip, and am so thankful for getting to see the family that I have seen in two years. But I want my babies, and I want to feel my husbands arms around me!

Love to all!

posted under |

No comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments